Members and representatives of TRU attended the September 27 silent vigil in support of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and all survivors. One representative of TRU spoke at the event. The JHU News Letter covered the event.
TRU stands in solidarity with all survivors of sexual harassment and assault. Unfortunately, sexual harassment and assault is no stranger to academia or the Johns Hopkins campus. And even just hearing about sexual assault (in the media or elsewhere) can be traumatic for survivors and their loved ones. Below are some resources that may be helpful to those in the Hopkins and Baltimore community.
- SARU (Sexual Assault Response & Prevention) is autonomous & student-run. Their 24/7 private hotline can help direct you to further resources. The support line number is 410-516-7887 and the SARU email is firstname.lastname@example.org. SARU’s training is similar to that at RAINN.
- JHU Counseling Center runs a 24/7 helpline, staffed by an on-call counselor. The number for the Sexual Assault Helpline is 410-516-7333 For more information see http://sexualassault.jhu.edu/
Note that everyone is obligated under Maryland law to report child abuse, but otherwise SARU staffers are not mandated reporters. Be aware that some Hopkins staff are mandated reporters.
- You can also talk to someone at the Interfaith Center. They are confidential. https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/campus-ministries/
- There is also Alysse Campbell, Hopkins’s sexual violence prevention and education coordinator: https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/chew/staff/alyse-campbell/
- And if you want to report something through Title IX, that is done via the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE). Their number is 410-516-8075. Joy Gaslevic is the Title IX coordinator http://oie.jhu.edu/
For information on reporting via the OIE, see: https://sexualassault.jhu.edu/file-complaint/index.html
- In the wider Baltimore area there is also CHANA. Helpline: 410-234-0023, CHANA offers a Jewish community response to the needs of those who experience abuse, trauma and neglect.
- And TurnAround, Inc. provides 24/7 crisis intervention, trauma therapy, victim advocacy, community education and training, accompaniment services and shelter. (Hotline: 443-279-0379, For crisis intervention&referral 410-377-8111) 2300 North Charles Street, Bmore. Their website is: https://turnaroundinc.org/